Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Getting set to leave for D.C. - and the things I will miss...







All my papers, projects, and finals have been completed. It was a GREAT and memorable semester. In short, the hard work and the long hours of reading and studying have paid off. It was probably my most difficult semester; so much to do, so little rest, and the constant drumbeat of “work, work, work, and work some more,” still echoes in my mind! Don’t get me wrong I am not complaining, but you should know it was tough, but totally worth it.

In fact, one of the highlights of the semester was that a colleague and I were allowed to teach a lecture for an undergraduate class. It was my first time to ever do this – and I loved it! It took a lot of research, preparation, and time for us to organize our lecture. I never knew so much was involved with just a single lesson plan. It gave me, as well as all my colleagues, a greater appreciation for the work involved with education. I definitely wouldn’t mind teaching again in the future.

These last couple of days I have been steadily working on getting things together for the long drive up to D.C. Almost everything is packed, the car is ready to roll, and we are all saying our goodbyes.

I sat down today and really thought hard about all the people and things I will miss, and in many cases there is so much I am already missing.

Thus, I will take this moment to list some of these things:

My family and friends – yes that means YOU; Gypsy – my beautiful and loyal Brittany Spaniel and all our other animals; TEXAS in all her glory; College Station; Working in my garden; Our family farm and ranch where I’ve spent countless hours in the outdoors - hiking the deep woods, fishing and kayaking in Rabbs creek, hunting in the bottom-land, and enjoying the serenity of the Texas landscape; Blue Bell Ice Cream – they tell me it isn’t up north… yet; Weikel’s Bakery; the many Texas Dance Halls we all know so well, and my John Deere.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm proud of you. I shall miss our times together and you are going to have so much fun up there. Remember the Cherry Blossom Festival. I hope my two brothers get to meet up.

tamara1977 said...

We'll miss you, too!