Monday, January 14, 2008

Some Serious Biking


Arlington National Cemetery and Mount Vernon

Thankfully, the weather has been nice and I have been able to ride my bike. The biking around this area is so incredible because of the diverse and unending surroundings.

The first bike trip I made was to Arlington National Cemetery. Though you cannot take your bike within the cemetery, you can ride the perimeter – which gives you some spectacular views!



The second bike trip I made was, so far, the longest – and also the best! I did a 32 mile round-trip ride to Mt. Vernon. This ride was amazing because of the perfect bike trails and the scenery. The trails consist of a paved double lane for people on bikes or runners/walkers. These trails are ideal because they have so many access points, don’t interfere with highway traffic, and are located along the Potomac River and other scenic areas.

When I arrived at Mt. Vernon, I took a break and walked around the grounds of George


Washington’s Estate. It was beautiful! Mt. Vernon is a must see spot for anyone who is traveling
through this area.

After walking around and checking things out, I set off for home. The ride back was much nicer because it was mostly downhill and I made significant gains in speed. Overall it was a perfect workout, a beautiful ride, and a great way to see the sites!

No comments: