Monday, January 14, 2008

Checking out the Area


The last couple of days have been fantastic, and because the weather has predominately been so agreeable, my fellow interns and I have taken advantage of it. We have seen so many wonderful, amazing, and historic sites and even met and read about some incredible and fascinating people. So I am listing where I have traveled and what I did:

The National Mall: For those of you who might not know, the National Mall is an open-area national park in downtown Washington D.C. which includes some of the most incredible historical sites in the world. On my first full day in D.C. two fellow interns and I myself ventured out to visit the National Archives and the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. I actually was able to view the original Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and even more… It was amazing to see the paper and the signatures of the brave men who wrote our founding documents. I was literally in awe at the power of what they wrote, its meaning, and how brilliant our founders truly were. When we had finished viewing the national archives, we ventured into the Natural History Museum. We were able to see the Hope Diamond – it took my breath away –

Afterwards, we sat down for lunch at a tasty cafĂ© next to the National Mall and right next to the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. It was an amazingly warm day, so we ate outside – a great way to enjoy our lunch…

Finally, we set out for home. We were all starting to get tired and headed back to the Metro. However, before we arrived, we passed by the United States Botanical Gardens, and just had to peep inside.

and…

WOW – BY FAR, it is definitely one of my top favorites! The greenhouses, brilliant colors, plants, waterfalls, smells, the sights – ALL OF IT – it was truly eye opening and I really admired the work, effort, care, and design that went into it. I hope one day to be able to plant my gardens so well…
I am definately planning to return to the Botanical Gardens for some serious rest, relaxation, and reflection.

1 comment:

tamara1977 said...

Those gardens are beautiful! Take lots of pics.