Sunday, March 9, 2008

The MOST AMAZING HIKE!




Today I was able to experience one of the most INCREDIBLE things yet! A hike along the cliffs of the Potomac on a path called the Billy Goat Trail!

Joseph and I had been talking about going on a hike (if we could find some woods and a good place). We really loved and missed the outdoors of Texas, and how soothing and relaxing it is to be around nature - so we were ready - we just didn’t know where to go.

…and that is when we talked to Rachel…

It happened to be that this weekend my friend Rachel had a friend fly up to visit her, and they also wanted to go on a nice nature hike. She showed us a video that talked about the Billy Goat Trail - and after watching it, we were sold. The four of us were going to go!

We set out after church. The park was just 20 minutes outside of D.C. and it was truly a hike I’m never going to forget.

We hiked along the cliffs of the Potomac. There were some great places to go Bouldering – so we spent a considerable amount of time doing that (I’ll post some photos later).

We also hiked along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (C&O Canal)…my photos didn’t do it justice, so MAKE SURE you check out the “Quick Tour” slideshow at the C&O Canal Website; they also have some great links to maps and trails.



…CHECK out the SLIDESHOW!


…wasn’t that amazing?!?! I totally recommend this place for anyone who loves the outdoors, nature, and some great panoramic views of the Potomac!

It was such a great day, with some great friends. Even the weather was considerably good, slightly cold for me, but not too bad.

Towards the end of our hike we came back to where we started (the trail makes one large loop), and right at the beginning of the trail, there is a side path that takes you to the Great Falls. We took the bridged path to the lookout of the Great Falls and were amazed to see the most spectacular example of a RAGING RIVER.

The Potomac happened to be extra high due to all the rainfall farther up the river – and it showed! Check out the two videos I took below. The crashing of the water was intense, deafening, and was a great reminder of the power of God.

I was definitely at home in the woods, and though I can’t speak for the others, I was truly inspired by the wonderment and wildness of this place. I urge everyone to visit here and experience an excursion you will not soon forget.

LOVED IT! LOVED IT LOVED IT!

Additional photos will be posted soon.






2 comments:

tamara1977 said...

So beautiful! It looks like Texas.
-Cousin Tam

Unknown said...

Except for all that white stuff on the ground, it does look like Texas..