Friday, February 22, 2008

Old Ebbits Grill Last Night









Last night was nice - my roommates and I finally were able to eat at Old Ebbitt Grill. It is Washington’s most famous and oldest saloons, and close to the White House.
We were taking our unbelievable and most generous neighbors, affectionately referred to as Uncle Jean and Aunt Sandy, to dinner (more on them later) to show our appreciation for their kindness to us.

The restaurant is a definite must if you are visiting D.C. It is located close to the White House, and is bursting with history. One of the first things I noticed when I walked inside was the antique gas-lit lamps and chandeliers. It was almost as if I were stepping back in time. Additionally, adorning the atmosphere of the main room was the museum-quality collection of decoys – it gave a sense of camaraderie one might experience at a private hunting lodge in the mountains – truly a great sense of home for an outdoorsman like myself.

There were other animal examples throughout the restaurant, and you wouldn’t believe my excitement when I discovered that some (above the old bar) were actually taken by President Teddy Roosevelt himself. President Roosevelt, or as I refer to him, TR ‘The Lion’ is perhaps my most favorite U.S. President because TR did so much for conservation and the outdoors. In fact, TR was a known patron of Old Ebbit and enjoyed dining and entertaining there; I was in stunned amazement to be sitting in the presence of one of my hero’s favorite spots – and its great history therein.

We ate very well to say the least; the service was excellent and the food was fantastic. I totally recommend the crab cakes; fresh and satisfying, with a selection of gourmet sides to compliment.

A good time was had by all! When my Dad comes to visit me up here, I will definitely take him to the Old Ebbit Grill, so we can sit and dine in the presence of great times gone by.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Pics hope your having fun. Ron The Edge